Technical Specialists are highly skilled support engineers with extensive product knowledge and systems hardware and software support experience. They are the top level of support within the Technical Assistance Center function and are ultimately responsible for resolving the most complex customer technical issues. Possessing a broad background of technical expertise ranging from digital networking, hardware controls, and communications systems to Windows operating systems and network administration as well as database, IIS, and domain administration which they can draw upon to pinpoint issues and offer a fast and accurate resolution for customer issues.
Technical Specialist works closely with Development Engineering in identifying and resolving hardware and software defects. They also work with Development Engineering on new product development, Beta support, and technical training. Technical Specialist also lead specialized support desk projects to improve support tools and training. Technical Specialist also differentiates from lower levels of support with increased responsibilities around critical independent decision-making and independent customer management.
* Provide 3rd level engineering support within the Technical Assistance Center * Take ownership of escalated calls from lower level engineers and resolve complex customer technical issues. * Diagnose if issues are related to application defects, database defects, Server/Domain/Client environment, network issue, and or hardware issues * Administer MS SQL Databases and diagnose Database related issues. * Manage Windows Server environment, IIS, and MSMQ, * Maintain timely and routine communication with customer on progress of work * Document activities in CRM database * Take ownership of proactive application alerts and resolve the application issue or escalate to 4th level if an application, Database or environment defect is recognized. * Work with Development Engineering and OEM vendors on possible software and hardware defects as identified via reported customer problems * Troubleshoot, verify and test to validate possible defects * Pull appropriate information from customer site to validate issue * Verify \"fix\" provided by Development or OEM vendor and make recommendation on implementation * Communicate with customer regarding intended fix and timeline * Work with Development Engineering on new product development * Ownership of specific features relevant to the support environment * Request new features which could: (1) enhance product serviceability, (2) improve support efficiency and productivity, and/or (3) improve customer uptime * Support Beta projects as technical resource * Participate in the development cycle to provide inputs in features that will improve supportability * Train other support engineers on the new and existing features * Lead specialized projects to develop tools and training to advance Help Desk efficiency and productivity * Research and evaluate support tools * Recommend Vendor selections * Develop Project plans and manage timelines * Develop tools within scope of expertise * Author knowledgebase solutions and review/approve submitted objects for technical accuracy * Mentor lower level engineers to improve their skills and product support expertise * Participate in Customer site visits to intervene with resolving problems of high severity and manage customer relationships to represent the support team.
Knowledge and Skills
* IT/IS Certifications, Networking Certifications or equivalent experience * Verbal and written communications must be professional, clear, accurate and in language our customers can easily understand * Microsoft SQL Server 2005/2008 T-SQL programming. Able to create and run T-SQL DDL and DML statements to troubleshoot complex database issues * Windows Server administration and management including IIS 6 or higher and standard windows tools/technologies (PerfMon, AD, Domain Management) * Networking background with TCP/IP and other related protocols such as FTP, FTPs, HTTP, HTTPs, TCP/IP, SSH, etc and ability to use network diagnostic tools (ping, tractrt, telnet, etc.) * Strong planning, organizational and presentation skills necessary * Must be a self-starter who is able to work independently with little direction * Strong partnering and collaborative skills as they relate to customer management in a time critical support environment. Ability to team with co-workers and engineering to rapidly resolve customer issues thru joint problem solving * Builds customer relationships built on trust, execution of commitments and true empathy for the customer's situation * Advanced problem-solving skills with ability to develop effective long-term solutions to complex problems
* Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science/IT Technology or in lieu of degree a High School Diploma/GED with 6 years of experience with computer hardware / software troubleshooting. * 4 + years of software support and supporting/ troubleshooting applications utilizing MS Web Services. MS .Net framework. (i.e. MS IIS, Web Services, Application pool, Event log, MMC, MSMQ)
* Office Environment * Must be able to travel and be on call 24 hours per day, 7 days a week
Associated topics: assistant, desk, excel, information technology help desk, information technology support, msword, support, technical support, technical support specialist, troubleshoot
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.